Families USA Comments on Medicaid 1115 Waivers and 1332 Innovation Waivers
Families USA Comments on Medicaid 1115 Coverage Waivers, by State
This letter was sent on Wednesday, May 9, 2018, to Health and Human Services Secretary Azar urging HHS to address concerns about the 1115 waiver process that were raised in a recent Government Accountability Office (GAO) report. The GAO report, published in February, found that the federal government has failed to require complete and timely evaluations of the waivers from states, and failed to make evaluations public. The letter urges Secretary Azar to halt approvals of Medicaid 1115 waivers that have the effect of limiting eligibility, reducing enrollment, or curtailing program benefits until HHS demonstrates it has the capacity to conduct comprehensive public evaluations of its existing waivers.
The letter was signed by over 70 state and national organizations, including Families USA, the National Health Law Program, the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists, the American Diabetes Association, the Children’s Defense Fund, and the Planned Parenthood Federation of America.
- AHCCS Works (2018)
- Arizona Cost Containment Demonstration Amendment (2015)
- Arizona’s 1115 Waiver Amendment Request (2014)
- Arkansas Works Waiver Amendment(2017)
- Arkansas Health Care Independence Program Section 1115 waiver amendment (2014)
- Arkansas Health Care Independence Program (2013)
- Retroactive Coverage Request (2018)
- Families USA’s Comments on Pending Healthy Indiana Plan 1115 Workforce Bridge Account Amendment (2019)
- HIP 2.0 Waiver Extension Amendment (2017)
- Indiana’s Healthy Indiana HIP 2.0 Section 1115 waiver request to modify and expand eligibility (2014)
- Families USA Comments on IHWP 1115 Waiver of Retroactive Coverage Amendment (2017)
- Request to Extend Waiver of Non-Emergency Medical Transportation (2015)
- Iowa Marketplace Choice Plan and Iowa Wellness Plan Section 1115 Waiver submissions (2013)
- Families USA’s Comments on Kentucky HEALTH Demonstration, reopened comment period (2018)
- Kentucky HEALTH 1115 demonstration modification request (2017)
- Kentucky HEALTH 1115 Waiver Proposal (Federal) (2016)
- Kentucky HEALTH 1115 Waiver Proposal (State) (2016)
- Amendment to MassHealth Waiver (2017)
- Healthy Michigan Extension and Amendment (2018)
- Healthy Michigan Waiver Amendment (2015)
- Michigan Amendment to Demonstration Program (2013)
- Federal Comment Letter On Nebraska “Heritage Health” 1115 Waiver (2020)
- State Comment Letter on Nebraska “Heritage Health Adult Expansion” 1115 Waiver (2019)
- Families USA’s comments on New Hampshire’s Health Protection Program amendment request (2018)
- New Hampshire Health Protection Program Premium Assistance – (2017)
- New Hampshire health protection program premium assistance waiver amendment – (2016)
- North Carolina Medicaid and NC Health Choice Amended Section 1115 Demonstration waiver – (2018)
- Families USA Federal Comment Letter on Utah “Fallback Plan” 1115 Amendment (2019)
- Families USA State Comment Letter on Utah “Fallback Plan” 1115 Amendment (2019)
- Families USA Federal Comment Letter on Utah Per Capita Cap 1115 Demonstration (2019)
- Families USA State Comment Letter on Utah Per Capita Cap 1115 Application (2019)
- Families USA comments on Utah’s amendment to its 1115 Primary Care Network (PCN) Demonstration Waiver (2018)
- Comments on Utah’s request to amend the Primary Care Network 1115 waiver (2017)
- BadgerCare Reform (2017)
1332 Innovation Waivers Comments from Families USA
Tools for Advocates
A waiver is a state request that the Secretary of Health and Human Services waive certain federal health care program requirements, usually in Medicaid (Section 1115 waivers) or the marketplaces (Section 1332).
- Waiver Strategy Center Home
- Opposing Restrictive Medicaid Waivers in Your State: Advocacy Toolkit
- Get an overview of the process at Waivers 101.
- Dig deeper into the elements of Medicaid that are under attack by section 1115 waivers, including their impact on oral health.
- Read Families USA Comments on state waiver requests.
Our partners in the states are our best resource. If you learn about a waiver being developed in your state, please let us know. Contact Us