Strategies for Story Banking and Engaging Young Adults
By Artair Rogers, Elizabeth Prescott, Elizabeth Perry, Lydia Gottesfeld,
State advocates face the challenge of educating the public about the Affordable Care Act and rallying support for it. Collecting and publicizing consumer stories (known as “story banking”) and engaging young adults can help achieve both goals.
Advocates can use these briefs to learn best practices for story banking and engaging young adults.
Strategies for story banking include:
- devoting staff resources
- integrating story collection into existing work
- going directly to consumers
- sharing stories with the media
To communicate with young adults more effectively, advocates should consider these tactics:
- offering health insurance as something tangible before explaining other benefits of the law
- building relationships with campus organizations
- establishing internships
- using social media