Mobilizing To Lower Prescription Drug Costs: Social Media Toolkit
After years of stalling, Congress is finally showing signs that it might be ready to take action to lower the outrageous costs of prescription drugs. BUT IT’S NOT A DONE DEAL! We must make sure that Congress passes meaningful legislation that helps American families. Starting this summer and through the fall, our lawmakers need to hear that this issue matters to their constituents. A handful of key Senators will be particularly important to reach, but we need to ensure all Members keep this issue top of mind.
If you’re interested in continuing your advocacy efforts on lowering drug prices, consider joining Rx Allies. Rx Allies is a broad, informal table to discuss issues relating to drug policy and provide opportunities for collective action to push back on the outsized power and influence of pharma. Sign up to join an information-sharing listserv and get updates on our virtual meetings, which are hosted once a month from 3:30-5pm and are closed to the press. Please complete this form to join the Rx Allies listserv and monthly calls.
Also, you can view the slide deck for the recent webinar: A National Mobilization Moment on Federal Drug Pricing.
Table of Contents:
Customizable Suggested Posts for All States:
- Too many people in [your state] cannot afford the medications they need to stay healthy. [insert percentage from page 2 of this report] – of [insert state residents eg. Alabamans] report not following doctor’s orders on a #prescription due to cost. [insert senator, all handles available here], it’s time to allow #drugpricing negotiation. https://familiesusa.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/06/RX-2021-162_High-Rx-Prices-Hurting-Consumers-Impact-By-State-Fact-Sheet.pdf
- After working hard and sacrificing to save for decades, the cost of life-saving #prescriptiondrugs shouldn’t ruin retirement. @[your senator] needs to hear our stories. If you are in [your state] & ever had to skip #rx due to cost, please share your story in the comments below.
- Drug companies have increased the prices of over 800 drugs just since January. -insert senator-, (your state’s) families are counting on you to stop these abuses and stand up for a strong #prescriptiondrug #rx bill that includes #Medicare negotiation.
- No one in America should be forced to choose between their #prescriptiondrugs #rx & financial ruin. -insert senator- your constituents need you to pass a comprehensive #drugpricing bill that allows #Medicare to negotiate prices.
- Too many people in [your state] cannot afford the medications they need to stay healthy. [insert percentage from page 2 of this report] of [insert state residents eg. Alabamans] report not following doctor’s orders on a #prescription because they couldn’t afford it. [insert senator, all handles available here], it’s time to act on #drugpricing with negotiation. https://familiesusa.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/06/RX-2021-162_High-Rx-Prices-Hurting-Consumers-Impact-By-State-Fact-Sheet.pdf
Resources to Drive the National Narrative:
- Wall Street forecasts a windfall in revenues for companies making #COVID19 treatments while America’s families are rationing life-saving #rx & making impossible tradeoffs to keep a roof over their heads & food on the table.
- At the same time that American families are rationing medicines and making impossible trade-offs to keep a roof over their heads, companies are increasing #drugprices on arbitrary and unjustified grounds.
- In early 2020, drug companies raised prices on a record-setting 900 drugs while America’s families were rationing medicines while the pandemic crashed down around us.
- #Highdrugprices & unrelenting price increases come from a broken system that allows unchecked industry abuses. The current policies protect Big Pharma – not people – making medicines unaffordable for America’s families. https://familiesusa.org/resources/too-many-people-are-skipping-or-changing-medications-because-they-are-too-expensive/
- 8 in 10 voters say the health care system’s rules are rigged in favor of drug and insurance companies & worry that Congress won’t do enough to actually #lowerdrugprices. #rx #prescriptiondrugs
- The current health care system incentivizes profits and loopholes, not saving lives. Our laws mean that the drug industry can spend more time taking advantage of patent laws than creating new, better medicine. #rx #prescriptiondrugs
- Families across America deserve to actually benefit from the hundreds of billions of their taxpayer dollars invested in #COVID19 vaccines & treatments and every single drug developed from 2010-2019. #rx #prescriptiondrugs
- Americans are asking for help w/ #highdrugprices! Nearly 9/10 voters want the federal government to take action to #lowerdrugprices & 9/10 employers see #drugprices as among the greatest threat to affordability of #healthcoverage for employees. https://familiesusa.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/03/FUSA-and-Hart-Feb-2021-Poll-Findings-Short.pdf
- Families desperate to find a treatment for Alzheimer’s were hurt by the approval of #aducanumab, a drug that demonstrates no clear clinical benefit. https://www.nytimes.com/2021/07/07/podcasts/the-daily/aduhelm-alzheimers-fda-drug.html
- Voters in both parties are concerned that Congress won’t go far enough to lower #drugprices & continue to allow drug CEOs to make meds too expensive for us. Check out our polling here: #rx https://familiesusa.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/03/FUSA-and-Hart-Feb-2021-Poll-Findings-Short.pdf
- America’s families are still waiting for Congress to#lowerdrugcosts. The longer we wait the more #prescriptiondrugs prices will keep going up while more people die #rx https://familiesusa.org/resources/affordable-medicines-are-still-elusive-americas-families-want-fair-prices/
- Families desperate to find a treatment for Alzheimer’s sustained a significant loss with the approval of #aducanumab, a drug that demonstrates no clear clinical benefit. Despite overwhelming rejection by the FDA’s expert advisory panel, the drug will hit the market, providing false hope for these families and take a severe financial toll in the process. Biogen set the price at $56,000, exponentially higher than the assessed value of the $2,500 to $8,300 range. Some estimates show that people who take the drug would have to spend $10,000 or more out of pocket annually. Congress needs to act now to finally respond to the 9 out of 10 voters who want #lowerdrugprices. https://www.nytimes.com/2021/07/07/podcasts/the-daily/aduhelm-alzheimers-fda-drug.html
- After working hard and sacrificing all your life to save for retirement, the cost of life-saving #prescriptiondrugs #rx shouldn’t leave that effort or those savings in ruin. If you have a hard time paying for medications or have to skip filling prescriptions due to cost, please consider sharing your story with us in the comment section below. Your experience could change history.
Click here to download Storyteller Graphics.
- Ann worries every day about how to pay for the medicine she needs to stay healthy. Our main concern when we’re sick should be getting better, not how to pay for #prescriptions. It’s time to #EndHighDrugPrices. -Anne’s graphic-
- Antroinette’s daughter died needlessly because she had to ration #insulin. Her other daughter also lives with diabetes and Antroinette lives in fear every day. -Antroinette’s graphic-
- People like Sa’Ra are in danger of dying when they can’t afford their #prescriptions. No one should have to struggle like this. #EndHighDrugPrices! -Sa’Ra’s graphic-
- Harry’s son passed away because he was rationing #insulin. How many more people have to die because they can’t afford their life-saving medicine? We must tell Congress to #endhighdrugprices. -Harry’s graphic-
- As a cancer survivor, Gail must continue to take life-saving prescription drugs, but the medication she needs is too expensive. Too many people like Gail have to go to extreme measures to get the medicine they need. -Gail’s graphic-