Guiding Principles for Consumer-Friendly Health System Transformation
Health system transformation cannot be achieved without meaningful input from consumers, patients, and their advocates. Families USA has developed a set of guiding principles to amplify the consumer voice in reform efforts. These principles lay out our vision for health system transformation that achieves the triple aim of better care, lower cost, and better health.
These principles can provide guidance to policymakers and others who are leading reform efforts. If embraced, they can help to ensure that reforms improve the quality of our health system, control costs, and reflect the needs of diverse communities.
State and national advocates can use these principles to:
- Advance a consumer agenda for health system transformation
- Determine organizational priorities
- Evaluate policy proposals
- Assess the relative merit of reform efforts
- Identify areas of advocacy