08.20.2019 / Press Release
Trump Administration Public Charge Rule Toolkit
- The Trump administration says it is working to improve health care; yet, its public charge rule will rip access to health care from the grasp of millions of individuals. Many more will choose not to seek care because of fear.
- The public charge rule will affect over 10 million documents immigrants. Kaiser Family Foundation has estimated that enrollment will also decline among the 19 million citizen children of immigrant parents.
- Scores of working families, children, seniors and people with disabilities stand to lose access to health care because of the public charge rule.
- This policy, which could take effect as soon as 60 days, will affect approximately 10 million documented immigrants. And the Kaiser Family Foundation estimates that enrollment will decline among the 19 million citizen children of immigrant parents.
- The Trump administration is essentially giving documented immigrants a choice: you can get a green card, or you can access medical care that you likely cannot afford. That is not acceptable as a matter of public health or our nation’s moral character. And the rule is actually illegal and an example of hubristic overreach.
- In our health care system access to medical care often depends on access to basic benefits like Medicare and Medicaid. These programs are used by over a hundred million Americans—they are hardly special benefits. This regulation penalizes lawful, documented immigrants by denying permanent residency for using these basic components of how we access medical care.
Experts’ Twitter Handles
- Eliot Fishman, Senior Director of Health Policy- @FishmanEliot
- Cheryl Fish-Parcham, Director of Access Initiatives- @cparcham
- Claire McAndrew, Director of Campaigns and Partnerships- @claire_mcandrew
- Sinsi Hernández-Cancio, Director of the Center on Health Equity Action for System Transformation- @sinsipuede
Suggested Twitter Content
- Look no further than the recent shooting in El Paso to illustrate why #PublicCharge is dangerous. Victims of the #GunViolence refused medical attention out of fear of being targeted or losing immigration status. #ProtectFamilies #MoralTerrorism.
- The Trump administration is giving #DocumentedImmigrants a horrific choice: you can get a green card, or you can access #MedicalCare. That is not acceptable as a matter of #PublicHealth or our nation’s moral character. #ProtectFamilies #MoralTerrorism.
- .@FamiliesUSA’s #PublicCharge toolkit is live. Use it to find key messages, video content, our statement, and a fact sheet about how this harmful Trump administration policy attacking immigrants will undermine health and health care for millions. http://bit.ly/2MljcJp
- The #PublicCharge rule is both cruel and un-American. According to the @KFF, citizen children of immigrant parents will most likely avoid enrolling in #HealthCare programs for fear of it impacting their parent’s immigration status. #ProtectFamilies #MoralTerrorism.
- The Trump administration has finalized its cruel #publiccharge policy to force people to choose between staying together with their families or accessing basic #Healthcare and other needs. This fight is not over. Stay tuned for resources on health implications from @FamiliesUSA