Families USA has been a leading advocate for affordable, comprehensive, high-quality health care for all Americans for more than 30 years. We work closely with health policy experts and advocacy organizations across the country to ensure that the best health and health care is available to all.
We are hiring a part or full-time Fundraising and Communications Intern to support Families USA’s fundraising and communications departments. The intern will be a key member of both teams and learn first-hand about how a social justice-oriented nonprofit interacts with and markets itself to foundations, the public, and the media.
This is an excellent opportunity to gain a diverse range of experience in the critical capacities – raising money and communicating – that nonprofits need to fulfill their missions.
- Media Outreach Support: Support the Media Relations Director in communicating with the media to garner coverage of Families USA’s key issues. This includes helping to maintain the media contacts database, assisting with events, drafting and sending press releases, and tracking media coverage of Families USA.
- Digital Communications: Work with Communications Director and Designer to maintain social media presence and outreach, send mass emails, and analyze social media and email metrics.
- Donor Relations: Assist the Grants Manager with the effective and efficient stewardship of foundation and individual donors including preparing summaries of meetings and calls, assisting in the preparation of proposals and reports, writing thank you letters, etc.
- Prospect Research: Support the Grants Manager in identifying and researching potential donors using a variety of prospect research tools and databases.
- Database Management: Work with the Salesforce Administrator and Grants Manager to update fundraising accounts and track prospects.
Families USA is committed to the success of our interns. In addition the weekly check-ins with the fundraising and communications directors, the Fundraising and Communications Intern will be assigned a mentor, interact regularly with Families USA’s team of health policy and advocacy experts, and have the opportunity to achieve personal and professional goals.
- Strong research, writing, and computer skills are essential.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and a strong attention to detail.
- Familiarity with social media platforms and knowledge of social media strategy
- Creative thinker, with ability to work collaboratively and take initiative
- Interest and familiarity with online research tools
- Computer proficiency in Windows-based applications including Microsoft Word and Excel is preferred
- A commitment to affordable health care.
- Currently enrolled in or recently completed graduate or undergraduate studies and looking for experience in development or communications.
- Located in the DC metro area or willing to relocate for the duration of the internship.
Interns are paid ($11.50 per hour) and are expected to work at least 20 hours/week and up to 40 hours/week depending on availability. Start/end dates are flexible.
To apply, submit a cover letter and résumé online via the link below. Families USA is an equal opportunity employer. No phone calls, please.