Families USA, a national nonprofit advocacy organization dedicated to the achievement of high-quality, affordable health care for all, is seeking a Story Bank Associate to work with our Communications Department on our recently launched “Oral Health for All” campaign. The multi-year campaign is designed to increase awareness among state and federal policymakers, media, and the general public about the urgent need to expand oral health coverage.
The Story Bank Associate will coordinate and contribute to the day-to-day running of Families USA’s robust story bank operation, a program designed to elevate consumer voices in a variety of mediums.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Schedule, conduct, and fact-check interviews with story bank participants on issues related to their experience with the health care system
- Assist in organizational storytelling activities and story dissemination. Including, but not limited to drafting blogs, talking points, op-eds, and speeches
- Work on coordinating activities and events that involve story bank participants, including, but not limited to press events and testimonial videos
- Stay abreast of health policy developments and integrate information into story collection and development
- Occasionally represent the story bank program at organizational meetings and external events.
- Must be willing to work occasional evenings and weekends, as required
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism, or related field
- 2-4 years’ experience preferred (experience with issue advocacy and campaigns is a plus)
- Strong written and oral communication skills (candidates with experience in storytelling, whether through digital media, journalism, or other formats, are encouraged to apply)
- Ability to juggle changing priorities
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- Ability to relate to people of diverse backgrounds and converse with storytellers on sensitive subjects while maintaining objectivity (experience with direct services is a plus)
- Knowledge of health policy issues preferred
- Ability to quickly learn new information and integrate into interviews, fact-checking, and searches
- A commitment to social justice and health equity
- Strong preference for candidates with Spanish-language fluency
To apply, submit a cover letter and résumé online via the link below. The salary will be commensurate with experience. Families USA offers a generous benefits package including excellent health insurance, life and long-term disability insurance benefits and generous vacation, sick leave, and holiday schedules. Families USA is an equal opportunity employer. No phone calls, please.