Families USA, a leading national voice for health care consumers, is dedicated to the achievement of high-quality, affordable health care for all. We advance our mission through public policy analysis, advocacy, and collaboration with partners to promote a patient- and community-centered health system.
We are seeking a dynamic and mission-driven professional to lead our team of health policy experts. With the help of senior staff leaders, the Senior Director of Health Policy will identify the policy priorities for the organization. In this role, the Health Policy Director will help lead our campaign work regarding policy opportunities around our key issues: health care affordability; protecting and strengthening public health safety-net programs like Medicaid and the Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP); ensuring comprehensive coverage, beginning with an initiative to expand oral health coverage; and better integrating the health care system with community services to improve overall population health and to reduce racial and ethnic disparities in health and health care.
This position will oversee the production of all policy-related content, including fact sheets, issue briefs, and policy reports. He or she will also work with the Senior Director of Development and Strategic Partnerships to identify exciting new funding opportunities based on our upcoming work.
If you are a motivated, collaborative, and organized individual looking to shape the policy and advocacy agenda for the organization that was instrumental in the passage of the Affordable Care Act, then the Families USA family wants you.
- Make strategic decisions regarding the prioritization of competing policy objectives within the policy department.
- Ensure that the health policy department is structured and is operating in a way that maximizes development and achievement of strong organizational policy and other goals.
- Assist in ensuring that the goals of the organization’s policy campaigns are met, including priority attention to health equity concerns
- Work closely with the Senior Director of Development and Strategic Partnerships to raise funds for policy programs from private foundations, corporations, and individuals.
- Act as a key external spokesperson with Congress, the Executive Branch, state and national partners, the media, and other stakeholders
- Supervise senior health policy staff.
An ideal applicant would possess these qualifications
- JD or Masters Degree in public health policy, public policy, public administration, or related field.
- A minimum of 10 years experience in health care advocacy, including at least 4 years in a senior leadership position.
- High-level content knowledge of diverse issues within health policy including Medicaid, private insurance, health care value, and health equity.
- Significant experience managing senior staff and demonstrated strong management skills.
- Strong analytic capabilities and good writing skills.
- Experience coordinating with multiple departments within an organization.
- Experience with fundraising including developing and managing relationships with donors, writing proposals, and managing funded projects.
- Ability to communicate complex policy ideas simply, both verbally and in writing, with a keen awareness of how messages will be received by different audiences.
- Experience representing an organization with media, federal and state regulators, state and national partners, funders, including ability to speak in public.
To apply, submit a cover letter and résumé via the link below. The salary will be commensurate with experience. Families USA offers a generous benefits package, including excellent health insurance, life and long-term disability insurance benefits, and generous vacation, sick leave, and holiday schedules. Families USA is an equal opportunity employer. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.