Families USA, a leading national voice for health care consumers, is dedicated to the achievement of high-quality, affordable health care for all. We advance our mission through public policy, advocacy, and collaboration with partners.
We are hiring a policy analyst to work with our Access to Care and Coverage team and our Medicaid/Safety Net Team.
Current areas of focus for the Access to Care and Coverage team, which likely will receive the most focus from this position, include: ensuring that consumers can enroll in and maintain affordable and comprehensive coverage in the marketplaces; improving access to oral health care; advancing policies to make it easier for those involved in the justice system to gain access to care and coverage; working towards policies that will enable all immigrants to gain coverage and access to high quality, culturally competent, and language accessible care. Work of the Medicaid/Safety Net team focuses on promoting Medicaid expansion to cover low-income adults in all states and protecting the current Medicaid program. The analyst may also work occasionally with the Medicaid and Safety Net team.
The policy analyst will develop and produce timely, efficient, tailored policy research, analysis, and reporting in support of the organization’s policy agenda. The analyst will also assist state-based advocates and enrollment assisters by providing training and technical assistance to help them advance their agendas in the states, and to help them bring concerns to the attention of federal officials. Some travel is required.
- Develop a high level of knowledge in the team’s areas of focus
- Perform policy research, analysis, and reporting on key issues
- Help build and support relationships with advocates, enrollment assisters, federal agencies, decision-making bodies, coalitions, working groups, and other organizations
- Respond to regulatory and legislative requests or opportunities to provide feedback, working with colleagues, including writing or coordinating regulatory comments
- Coordinate with other Families USA program staff to maintain up-to-date knowledge of state and federal health policy initiatives and advocacy strategies used in other states in order to identify potential issues and opportunities for state partners
- Provide technical assistance and policy guidance to partners
- Produce content, including but not limited to: reports, issue briefs, fact sheets, PowerPoint presentations, emails, blogs, webinars, and other materials
- Identifies resources for partners, including enrollment assisters and advocates
- Travel occasionally for presentations, trainings, and consultations with state and local advocates and enrollment assisters
- Coordinate with Families USA’s Campaigns, Outreach and Engagement team to advance policies and campaigns in the states.
- A bachelor’s degree and 1-3 years of related experience or a master’s degree in a related field
- Knowledge of health policy; particularly, experience with enrollment assistance in health care marketplaces is desired
- An understanding of barriers to coverage and care in communities of color and other underserved communities.
- Experience working with coalitions and diverse stakeholders
- An understanding of policy and advocacy campaigns
- Strong organizational skills and an ability to work collaboratively on multiple projects at the same time
- The ability to collaborate with a team or multiple teams to complete a project
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written, including the ability to write about technical policy issues in an accessible manner for different audiences
- Must be able to exercise discretion and judgment
- A commitment to social justice and health equity
To apply, submit a cover letter and résumé online via the link below. The salary will be commensurate with experience. Families USA offers a generous benefits package, including excellent health insurance, life and long-term disability insurance benefits, and generous vacation, sick leave, and holiday schedules. Families USA is an equal opportunity employer.