Families USA has been a leading advocate for affordable, comprehensive, high quality health care for all Americans for over 30 years. We work closely with health policy experts and advocacy organizations across the country to ensure that the Affordable Care Act is optimally implemented, expand access to Medicaid for low income Americans and improve the affordability and quality of health care for all Americans.
We are hiring a part or full-time Fundraising and Development Intern to support a growing fundraising program focused on individual and institutional donors. The intern will be a key member of a five-person team that will identify and research prospects, develop and manage cultivation and solicitation strategies for major donors, write proposals to foundations and corporations, create new online and social media fundraising strategies, and more. This is an excellent opportunity to gain a diverse range of experience in the many different ways that nonprofits acquire the resources they need to fulfill their missions.
- Prospect Research: Support the Development Associate in identify and researching potential individual and foundation donors using a variety of prospect research tools and databases.
- Database Management: Work with the Salesforce Administrator and Development Team to update fundraising accounts using our customer relationship management (CRM) software. Create new accounts, track prospects through the donor life cycle, and update records to reflect recent activity.
- Donor Relations: Assist with the effective and efficient stewardship of all donors including preparing summaries of donor meetings and calls, editing proposals and reports, writing thank you letters, etc.
- The Fundraising and Development Intern will also participate in meetings to develop fundraising strategies and will have the opportunity to interact regularly with Families USA’s team of health policy and advocacy experts.
Families USA is committed to the success of our interns. In addition the weekly check-ins with the Director of Development, the Fundraising and Development Intern will be assigned a mentor and have the opportunity to achieve personal and professional goals.
- Strong research, writing, and computer skills are essential.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and a strong attention to detail.
- A commitment to affordable healthcare. Knowledge of the Affordable Care Act and health policy in general is a plus.
- Currently enrolled in or recently completed graduate or undergraduate studies and looking for experience in development. Some nonprofit and/or fundraising experience preferred, but not required.
- Located in the DC metro area or willing to relocate for the duration of the internship. Interns are paid and are expected to work at least 20 hours/week and up to 40 hours/week depending on availability. Ideally the intern will start in mid-January but start/end dates are flexible.
To apply for Families USA's Fundraising and Development Internship, please submit a resume and cover letter via the "Apply Now" button below. Applications are reviewed and interns are hired on a rolling basis.